3 Ways to Know You’re on the Right Track
Choosing a career path can be challenging, and even with years of experience under your belt, you may still feel uncertain about your choice. Perhaps you entered a field because of external pressure, but now you’re not sure it’s the right fit. The good news is that there are ways to determine whether you’re on the right track.
Use this guide to figure out if you’re on the right career path.
1- You have an innate skill set.
Some individuals are just more naturally aligned with certain careers than others. Is that the case with you and your career choice?
· Think back to your childhood. Is your work related to something you had a knack for growing up? Did related activities interest you? If yes, you’re probably on the right track.
· How easily can you understand the field’s complex concepts? If you find yourself breezing through things that others find difficult, you likely have the natural ability for it.
· Do you feel “at home” finding solutions to challenges in your field? If so, it likely means that you’re doing what you’re meant to be doing.
2- Your eyes light up when working.
On the flip side of having natural abilities is the concept of being passionate. You’re probably good at many things, but which ones are you passionate about?
· If your eyes light up, it represents excitement about doing something that aligns with your soul. You can put it right up there by sharing special moments with beloved family members.
· Are there times when hours pass by without you even realizing it? Being so engrossed in your work that very little else matters usually means that you love what you’re doing!
· Once you find yourself talking about your career to family, friends, and even strangers, you’re likely in the career of your dreams! Is your career constantly at the forefront of your mind?
3- Your earning power is irrelevant.
Careers that cater to the passionate side are usually fulfilling all on their own. There’s a pride you get from producing something good, regardless of what your paycheck looks like.
· When you’re doing something you love, you spend your time ensuring you do it well. The financial benefit that comes along with work is important, but it’s definitely secondary to doing something you love!
· Have you ever found that bonuses on the job feel less exciting to you than to your co-workers? It’s probably because the income plays second fiddle in your life.
· Strangely enough, working in a fulfilling career negates the desire to seek material fulfillment elsewhere. You may even find that your earnings pile up because you really don’t have the desire to spend them!
The formula for assessing career suitability is really easy. For the most part, it just requires a little introspection. Give thought to what matters most to you. If, after defining those things, your career comes out on top, you’re on the right track.
Take the time to listen to your heart as you choose your life’s work. Be thoughtful when it comes to determining your ideal career path.
You don’t have to do this alone! Let’s Talk about your career!
SCHEDULE A FREE
RESUME + STRATEGY CALL
(Valued at $200)!
This coaching consultation will give you a sense of what 1on1 career coaching feels like and how it can help you! We’ll discuss what’s been holding you back and how to create the success you deserve!